State & Local Government Conflict of Interests Act Course
Required Biennial Training
The Virginia State and Local Government Conflict of Interests Act requires that faculty and staff holding certain positions with Virginia Commonwealth University complete an orientation course every two years. The purpose of the training is to ensure that employees required to file the annual statement gain a greater understanding of the Act, its provisions and prohibitions.
This year, employees may access the training electronically using BlackBoard. Follow the illustrated guide below to log in and fulfill the training requirement.
- You must review all 5 modules
- Each module contains a comprehension quiz, which must be completed
- The course includes voice narration; make sure your speakers are on and the volume is set at a comfortable level
- Your progress is saved automatically
- You may pause or stop the training at any time and resume at a later time or date
Accessing the COI Orientation Course
Internet Explorer is not compatible with Blackboard. Please use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
If you do not enable pop-ups for blackboard, completion of the course will not be recorded.
To allow pop-ups in Chrome:
- Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Click Show advanced settings.
- in the "Privacy" section, click the Content settings button.
- In the "Pop-ups" section, click Manage exceptions and add "blackboard.vcu.edu" to the exception list.
- At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Firefox button and then select Options .
- Select the Content panel.
- Click Exceptions
- Add "blackboard.vcu.edu" and click Allow to add Blackboard to the exceptions list.
Step 1: Go to the VCU Homepage at www.vcu.edu
Step 2: Click the "Blackboard" at the top middle of the page.
Step 3: Log in using your eID and password, then click the "Login" button.
Step 4: In the "My Courses" panel, click the training link: Virginia's Conflict of Interest Act - Orientation Course.
Step 5: Click on the "FAQs" button to learn more about navigating the training modules.
Step 6: Click the link at the bottom of the Required Course & Quiz page, to begin the course.
FYI: After completion of each module, click the light grey "exit" button. Do not click the "exit" button at the very top of the window until all 5 modules are completed. The black button at the very top will exit the entire training session instead of the current module.
After exiting the module, select the next module from the table of contents. Repeat this process until you have completed all 5 modules.